There are lots of different types of poker tournaments that you can participate in at PokerStars. Some poker tournaments will work better for certain playing styles while other tournaments work better for other playing styles. If you’re a loose/aggressive player then you’re going to want to probably play in regular sit and go tournaments or multi-table tournaments. You might also find that the bounty tournaments at PokerStars will work well for your playing style. If you’re a tight player then you might find that you do best playing in double up tournaments or regular tournaments. Below is a list of the popular types of online poker tournaments at PokerStars.
* Freeze out tournaments are regular poker tournaments where you can’t rebuy any chips during the tournament. Once you’re out of chips in a freeze out tournament you will be eliminated from the action. The tournament will play out until there is only one player with all of the chips.
* Rebuy tournaments are where you’re allowed to rebuy chips if you’re below a certain amount of chips. In some rebuy tournaments you can only rebuy if you run out of chips. In most rebuy tournaments you’ll be allowed one add-on period which usually takes place during the first break of the tournament. Rebuy tournaments will generally have bigger prize pools, but they will take a lot longer to play.
* Bounty tournaments are still rather new to the poker world and not many poker rooms offer them yet. In a bounty tournament part of the buy-in will go towards the prize pool and part of the buy-in will go towards the player’s bounty. If you knocked a player out of this type of tournament then you will receive the bounty in your account right away. These tournaments offer you the chance to break even or make money without finishing in the money and are great for loose players that like all-in hands.
* Double up tournaments are another new poker strategy tournament format on PokerStars software where players have the chance to double up their buy-in minus the tournament fee. Generally double up tournaments are played with 10 players with the top 5 players make money although they can be played with more or less. Double up tournaments are generally geared towards the tight player because you don’t need to win many hands to win one of these.
* Freeroll tournaments are tournaments where you don’t need to pay a buy-in in order to play. PokerStars will also add a small prize pool in freeroll tournaments for the players. In certain instances during promotions or special occasions poker rooms will add large freerolls for their players. Generally these types of tournaments are only good for players that are new to poker and don’t have their own bankroll yet.
* Guaranteed prize pool tournaments are very popular in the poker rooms like PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker that have a lot of traffic. You can find guaranteed prize pool tournaments for up to $1 million in some poker rooms although they usually are in the $1K – $200K range.